This recipe is adapted from a beautiful cookbook by Pippa Kendrick called ‘the intolerant gourmet’. It has a plethora of allergy friendly meals that have all the gumption, flavour and poise of any good cookbook. This salad ought to serve on a cold winters day to warm the cockles of your heart. The garlicky, thyme infused, oven roasted sweet potato is just glorious. The succulent chicken, delicious roasted pine nuts and earthy lentils sing in your mouth. I didn’t have any smoked chicken when I first made this, so I used the breasts from a free-range BBQ chicken that I shredded into bit-sized pieces. You could alternatively use a seasoned, cooked chicken breast too.
Delicious Smoked Chicken, Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad
700g sweet potatoes
1 x smoked chicken breast (or 2 x BBQ chicken breasts)
4 cloves of garlic
A bunch of thyme
3 tablespoons olive oil
50g pine nuts
1 x 400g can of lentils
½ chicken stock cube
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons agave syrup or 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7
2. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1cm sized pieces. Crush the garlic and finely chop the thyme. Place chopped sweet potato, garlic, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl. Mix to combine. Place a piece of baking on a roasting tray and tip on the seasoned sweet potatoes.
Bake for 35 min or until softened on the inside and crispy on the inside. Once cooked, remove from oven and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, scatter the pine nuts in a fry pan on a low heat and cook until golden brown. Watch the pine nuts the entire time as they can burn quickly!
4. Drain the lentils, rinse and place in a saucepan. Pour over just enough water to cover add ½ a chicken stock cube, 1 whole clove of garlic and a few sprigs of thyme. Simmer gently.
5. Next, make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together in a jar or bowl with a whisk, seasoning with salt and pepper to amalgamate the flavours.
6. Drain the lentils and place in a serving bowl. Pour over the dressing, season to taste and add more olive oil if you think it needs it. Tip in the roasted sweet potato, chicken, and toasted pine nuts and toss carefully to mix together.
Tip: You can serve this on a bed of rocket or watercress for a bit of extra bite.
Mr McDonald’s remarks: “Yum…this is really tasty. Love the bite of the pine nuts. This is a really good winter salad”.